Skip to main content

The Lost Love Song

 “Those that truly love, have roots that grow toward each other underground, and when all the pretty blossoms have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two. “

From Captain Corelli’s Mandolin

I randomly spotted this book at my library’s “New and notable” section, and the title, The Lost Love Song, and cover art caught my eye.  The blurb sounded interesting so I brought it home.  And boy was that a good idea.  I read this wonderful book by Minnie Darke in 2 days, and immediately sat down to write this review.  

I occasionally play piano, so this tale that starts with a very talented pianist who meets her true love, and composes a love song for him while away on tour, was especially interesting.  But then tragedy strikes and Diana is lost to Arie forever.  But, perhaps her song can get back to him.  

Through a crazy turn of fate, this amazing song makes its way from musician to musician in different parts of the world,, each of them adding their own flair to it.  Eventually it might just help Arie find a new love story.  I couldn’t quite predict what was going to happen all the way to the end.

Some notes: 

- I would love to have the music for this beautiful sounding love song.

- I loved the Coda (epilogue) chapter - I love to know what happened ‘after’ the story.

- There is a section with questions that would be great for a book club.  This would make a wonderful book club book.

- In the last ‘chapter’, the author provides us with a list of songs which inspired the characters and scenes we read about.  I will be looking these up very soon and seeing if they agree with my imagination of the book.



Comments