Skip to main content

Savvy and Scumble

 Savvy is the first book in this series by Ingrid Law.  Amazon recommends this series for ages 9 - 12, and I think that is pretty accurate.  I listened to both Savvy and Scumble, and really enjoyed them.  They were clean and appropriate for my 6 year old to listen to a little bit, although I don’t think she would have followed the whole story.

A Beaumont gets their savvy, or special power, on their 13th birthday.  Whether it’s controlling electricity or causing hurricanes, Mibs is almost 13 and is wondering what her savvy will be.  But just before the big day, her dad has a big accident and is admitted to hospital, so now Mibs is hoping for a power that can help save her dad.  Convinced she will get a powerful savvy, Mibs catches a ride along with the preacher’s kids to town.  And the ride is super eventful, along with talking tattoos and such - nobody will come away unchanged.

Scumble is set 9 years after Savvy, and follows the summer Ledger gets his Savvy.  He’s hoping for the power to run like the wind, but when his birthday comes around he discovers his savvy is the power to make things fall apart and when he’s using it, someone outside the family sees, and he spends the summer trying to protect his family secrets.  While he learns to control, or scumble, his savvy he learns a lot about himself and his family and even makes an unexpected friend along the way.

Next up, I’ll need to read Switch.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Goldfinch (part 2)

 I said previously that I would post about this literary fiction book again once I was done reading it, and I finally finished it a few weeks ago.  It's taken me a few weeks to write about it, partly because I'm not entirely sure what to say about it, and also because I immediately jumped into a few lighter reads.  Am I glad I read The Goldfinch ?   It's a very big, long, slow book. Yes, because now it's no longer on my TBR list.  Yes, because I'm not sure I've ever read a book that won a Pulitzer Prize, and I'm not sure I will again.  But in all honesty, once I was done, I kind of felt like not much happened in the story considering it's well over 500 pages long.   I think perhaps if you're in the mood for a slower paced, book that is clearly super well written and perhaps a breath of fresh air from a typical beach read then this is the book for you.  If you're sick of romcom type books, then this is the book for you.  Definitely w...

Scout Moore: Junior Ranger, Grand Canyon

 It is quite clear that my blog has been on a 3 week hiatus, and the reason for that is a family vacation, which ties in really neatly with this book.  We undertook a road trip to the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Arches National Park, Denver and a couple of other spots for almost 2 weeks.  I thoroughly enjoyed all of these spots, and as such, bought this book for my daughter. This is a really cute story, written by Theresa Howell, of how Scout becomes a Junior ranger when her and her family visit the Grand Canyon.  Being a foreigner in the US, I didn’t really know about this program, and after reading this cute story, our family worked through junior ranger programs at Zion, Canyonlands and Arches national parks. When checking for the link to this book, I see that there are multiple options for different parks.  I would imagine the stories are quite similar, and perhaps only the one from your first national park makes most sense.   My girls really enj...

Love Walked In

This book by Marisa De Los Santos has been sitting on my shelf for a few years - I think my husband may have bought Love Walked In for me when we still lived in South Africa, which we moved away from over 6 years ago.  I am trying this year to read what is already there, even though library books are free.  And boy am I glad on this one - when I looked it up on Amazon to add the link, I discovered that it's the first of a series of 4 books - YAY. This story started a little slow for me because I hadn't read the blurb, which explained how the 2 narrators become connected, but once I realized, it was fun to read and see how it happened.  This is the story of a women and her boyfriend's daughter and how they become incredibly important in each other's lives.  I don't want to spoil the story, which definitely had some unexpected twists and turns, but I can tell you it's an engrossing story which I read in a week and had a really great ending.  I'm excited to re...