Skip to main content

The Guest Book

 I picked this book up at Barnes and Noble when I was buying a birthday present for a friend earlier in the year, because I cannot go into a book store and not buy a book that looks interesting.  This is definitely a little bit of an investment in terms of time, since it’s over 500 pages.  I decided to take it with on our 2 week vacation, since I figured it would last for most of the trip.  And it did - I finished it a few days after we got home.

The Guestbook is a family saga spanning 3 generations, which deals with the great divide between the rich and poor, Jewish and Protestant, Black and white, as well as how the decisions we make will affect our families through generations.  Kitty and Ogden buy Crockett’s Island, and a fair bit of this very well written story takes place on the island.  There are clearly some interesting family secrets which Sarah Blake slowly reveals throughout the story.  This is definitely a slower read, but a very important message, and probably also a valuable read considering all that has happened in the US since 2020.  It is very well written, and some people seem to say you’ll love it or not be able to read past 100 pages - I recommend sticking with it!



Comments