Skip to main content

The Stolen Daughter

Gosh, I seem to be on a roll at the moment.  The Stolen Daughter is ReShonda Tate Billingsley's 51st novel, and first that I have read.  I will definitely be finding more of her novels to add to my TBR list.

Jillian had a tough childhood with her single mother Connie.  Even though they didn't have money, Jillian always felt loved and Connie did everything she could for her only daughter.  Now Jillian is married with a young daughter of her own, and Connie has early onset dementia.  Now it's Jillian's turn to take care of her mother.

But now Jillian doesn't know what to believe since her mother is rambling and a mysterious stranger comes into her life claiming to have information that could turn Jillian's life upside down.  As Jillian goes on a journey to find out the truth about her past, she must decide what is most important to her.  

It is a thrilling story, which I could not put down, and read in under 48 hours.  I really enjoyed the writing and how the story unfolded.  The chapters were easily short which can be nice when you only have a couple of minutes to read, and helps you make more time to read when the book in enjoyable.  Highly recommend!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Goldfinch (part 2)

 I said previously that I would post about this literary fiction book again once I was done reading it, and I finally finished it a few weeks ago.  It's taken me a few weeks to write about it, partly because I'm not entirely sure what to say about it, and also because I immediately jumped into a few lighter reads.  Am I glad I read The Goldfinch ?   It's a very big, long, slow book. Yes, because now it's no longer on my TBR list.  Yes, because I'm not sure I've ever read a book that won a Pulitzer Prize, and I'm not sure I will again.  But in all honesty, once I was done, I kind of felt like not much happened in the story considering it's well over 500 pages long.   I think perhaps if you're in the mood for a slower paced, book that is clearly super well written and perhaps a breath of fresh air from a typical beach read then this is the book for you.  If you're sick of romcom type books, then this is the book for you.  Definitely w...

Scout Moore: Junior Ranger, Grand Canyon

 It is quite clear that my blog has been on a 3 week hiatus, and the reason for that is a family vacation, which ties in really neatly with this book.  We undertook a road trip to the Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Arches National Park, Denver and a couple of other spots for almost 2 weeks.  I thoroughly enjoyed all of these spots, and as such, bought this book for my daughter. This is a really cute story, written by Theresa Howell, of how Scout becomes a Junior ranger when her and her family visit the Grand Canyon.  Being a foreigner in the US, I didn’t really know about this program, and after reading this cute story, our family worked through junior ranger programs at Zion, Canyonlands and Arches national parks. When checking for the link to this book, I see that there are multiple options for different parks.  I would imagine the stories are quite similar, and perhaps only the one from your first national park makes most sense.   My girls really enj...

Love Walked In

This book by Marisa De Los Santos has been sitting on my shelf for a few years - I think my husband may have bought Love Walked In for me when we still lived in South Africa, which we moved away from over 6 years ago.  I am trying this year to read what is already there, even though library books are free.  And boy am I glad on this one - when I looked it up on Amazon to add the link, I discovered that it's the first of a series of 4 books - YAY. This story started a little slow for me because I hadn't read the blurb, which explained how the 2 narrators become connected, but once I realized, it was fun to read and see how it happened.  This is the story of a women and her boyfriend's daughter and how they become incredibly important in each other's lives.  I don't want to spoil the story, which definitely had some unexpected twists and turns, but I can tell you it's an engrossing story which I read in a week and had a really great ending.  I'm excited to re...